Wednesday

Reading #34

Two.Decisions

I gained a sense of stability after I was able to name any food that came my way as either easy-to-manage or difficult-to-manage. I felt an improvement in my self-control. We’re more vulnerable to something when we can’t name it and put it in its proper place. Finally, I had some useful street smarts about food. I could quickly recognize which foods kept me safe and which foods led me into conflict. 


When I chose what to eat, I did not restrict myself to easy foods because I still wanted to make room for other foods. I considered abstaining from difficult foods, but I preferred to be able to move about freely in many eating situations. I did not want to make or request special accommodations to satisfy the demands of a restrictive eating plan. Thus, I chose easy foods whenever possible and lesser amounts of difficult foods.


Easy foods are like the flat, steady rocks you encounter as you carefully cross the stream. Difficult foods are like the other rocks that are jagged and slippery. You need to use them once in a while, but seek out the reliable rocks.


Previously, I had made a decision to rely on water and small amounts of juice beverages between meals. Now, I added a second decision regarding mealtimes. I decided to rely on easy-to-manage foods and reduce consumption of difficult-to-manage foods.


These two decisions gave me a feeling of freedom and normality that I had long sought. I began to feel comfortable in the world of food. I did not have to constantly monitor how much I ate because my own body seemed much more responsive to hunger and fullness. My food cravings were also diminishing. I chose food that helped me feel like a normal eater rather than choosing food from a calorie, carbohydrate, or fat gram chart.


As I focused on easy foods, the difficult foods began to fade into the background. Everything tasted good, but nothing compelled me to take more than I needed. However, I admit I was somewhat disconcerted by the lack of taste excitement.


Next: Reading #35 Food

Everyday Food and Faith by Vicki Arkens