Thursday

Reading #27

Sugar: substance of ill repute


My decision to drink all sorts of beverages brought up a big problem. The sugar content of beverages is highly controversial. Many believe that sugar is a major factor in the so-called obesity epidemic. Experts say refined sugar is just not healthful and that it makes us vulnerable to various diseases. Conventional wisdom holds that sugar causes a surge of energy with a corresponding energy crash. Many overeaters crave sugar, and sugar has become the enemy.


On the other hand, the desire for sugar is entirely natural. Breast milk is sweet, encouraging the baby to keep drinking for energy and growth. Thirst, plus the natural attraction to sweet flavor, was vital to our early development. It’s no wonder we love sugar.


Despite the warnings, I decided to take my cue from babies and drink sweet beverages between meals for energy and taste satisfaction. I hoped this would satisfy my sugar cravings and even calm my salty food cravings. I wanted those attractions to frosted donuts and chocolate chip cookies to fade as I trained my taste buds to seek and expect sweet beverages. I also wanted to make beverage decisions based upon my own reactions. I did not experience that dreaded energy crash from a sugar high. I found that a sugared beverage tides me over a rough spot in the day, actually giving me energy rather than destroying my energy.


I had to keep encouraging myself to drink sweet beverages because I was hesitant to “spend calories” in this way. Veteran dieters who know their way around calorie charts know that a sugared beverage can wreak havoc with their daily calorie total. In my dieting days, I always skipped beverages in favor of a snack. Thus, I wasn’t worried that I was going to go overboard with this decision. Perhaps the problems with sugar, as with most things, can be traced to excessive use. A 6 1/2-ounce bottle of cola was the standard size when soft drinks were first marketed. Now, soft drinks are served in 12-ounce cans, 20-ounce bottles, or even larger sizes.



Next: Reading #28 Food

Everyday Food and Faith by Vicki Arkens