Saturday

Reading #11

Motives can be Improved

We’ve been taught to strengthen our higher desires through awakening and energizing the underlying motivation. Weight loss experts try to whip us into a frenzy of enthusiasm. They shout, “Get motivated! You can do it! Lose ten pounds before summer! Be the thin person you’ve always wanted to be!” All this cheerleading lights a fire in us, but the stoked up desire soon burns out.


We actually have two main desires. One desire is to eat normally, to stop overeating. The other desire is to lose weight. These two desires are distinct, but easily confused. The desire to lose weight dominates over the desire to eat normally. Eating normally is nice, but what we desperately want is to lose weight. If we lose weight, yet still have abnormal eating patterns, we feel successful. If we start to eat normally, yet are still overweight, we feel like failures.


The motives underlying the desire for losing weight can range from base to high. Some motives can be quite prideful. We want to lose weight so we can be fit and trim at the class reunion, so we can show off on the beach, so we can wear that fabulous outfit and be the envy of everyone at the party. The appeal to vanity doesn’t permanently strengthen our higher desires. We need to be aware that pride can undermine our determination in this battle with overeating. Pride is spiritually weakening. In the same way, the more we grow spiritually, the less power that prideful motives have in producing change within us.


We benefit from naming and nurturing the higher motives for conquering overeating. As we let go of the old prideful motives, we can reach for something new and better. We need motives that are less selfish. We need spiritually infused motivations. Perhaps create a visualization in which you name some of the higher motives for eating normally and losing weight. For example:

  • I want to feel energetic. When I don’t overeat, I feel clear, light, and clean inside. I want to feel healthy and strong. Losing the burden of excess body fat would feel liberating.
  • I want to be as beautiful as is naturally possible. My imperfect yet unique beauty is a reflection of the beauty of creation. I also know that people who love me will appreciate seeing me happier, healthier, and shining with natural beauty.
  • I want to be ready and able to help. When my body isn’t clogged with food, I feel more capable of lending a hand. I’m ready for service. I’m not distracted by the desire for food or slowed by feelings of fullness.
  • I want to think more clearly. My mind operates better when I’m not overloaded with excess food to digest. I’m better able to make decisions and carry them out. When my mind is clear, my spiritual capacity is enhanced.

  • I want to respect my body as a temple for the divine presence. Good habits and healthful consumption of food honor the life God has given me.

Even after idealistic motives like these are named and encouraged, a true desire to eat normally and lose weight can be frustratingly sporadic. The question remains: how do we strengthen our higher desires? Improving our motives is admirable, but it is not the highest, most effective answer.


All one’s ways may be pure in one’s own eyes,

but the Lord weighs the spirit.


Proverbs 16:2



Next: Reading #12 Part II

Everyday Food and Faith by Vicki Arkens